Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Money For Floods

My grandparents and sister were evacuated today, they had to be gone by 8pm, and the Mayor placed a 9pm curfiew on the city of Wilkes-Barre. My parents moved to a new house 3 years ago to a part of town not subject to flooding, so they are completely unaffected. In fact, by all accounts, the weather in NePA today was sunny and mild. I was reading articles of the event online all day, so by the time I called them, it was very eerie to hear the agitation in their voices, knowing what I had pictured in my mind was actually happening. And I couldn't do anything to help. I was born into devastation 2 weeks after a really bad flood in 1972, but have never experienced one first hand. I am always a little haunted by floods. The authorities used Hurricane Ivan as a yardstick, and obviously devised an excellent evacuation plan. Good news is that everyone was out in plenty of time, with all of their important treasures, documents, and medications in tow.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Theo

I've been reading your blog for a few years now. I never knew you were from Wilkes-Barre. How exciting.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home